Monday, November 21, 2011

Opening Pathways of Communication

This morning in my music class at Riverbrook Residence for women with disabilities, I improvised in piano duet with a young woman who is almost completely deaf.

Despite her disability, I was amazed to see her fingers on the keyboard, lithe, confident. She could FEEL the rhythms I was creating and SEE my hands moving as I played an accompaniment in the bass. She joined me, producing simple lyrical sounds in the treble. In the last note, we were completely together. The music that had emerged was beautiful. She turned to me with a HUGE smile. My heart melted! And I thought--there are are SO MANY MORE channels of communication open BETWEEN us than we think! Such subtle and accessible pathways that allow us to collaborate and communicate!

No comments: