Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sharing the Transformative Power of Music with Governor Deval Patrick

On April 10, 2010, Governor Deval Patrick and his family appeared at a fundraiser/campaign event in Northampton, MA. I had an opportunity to give the Governor an article that was just published in Exceptional Parent Magazine, which describes my music program at Riverbrook Residence. The article culminates in an account of the duet piano performance of America the Beautiful/We Shall Overcome that my gifted Riverbrook Residence student, Tanny, and I played for him last June. (Watch video of our duet)

In the article, I describe that performance: "While I played the familiar refrain of America the Beautiful, Tanny began the descant--a soaring counter-melody high in the treble. Our notes melded together and the duet became pure music. I could feel the Governor watching, listening. Everyone in the room was held in rapt suspension. Suddenly, Governor Patrick was not the governor, I was not the music educator, Tanny was not blind. At the final chord, the Governor came immediately to the piano and pressed Tanny's hand in his..."

Last night, in recounting that occasion to Governor Patrick, he remembered it well and said he'd like for us to play again for him. That opportunity may arise soon!

Also at the event last night were dear friends, Bernard Jones and his wife, who is a wonderful artist - Ruby Rice. Bernard is a fellow musician, a supporter of the Governor, and had invited me to the Northampton fundraiser. He was also responsible for arranging our piano performing for the Governor last June. Thank you, Bernard!

No comments: