Thursday, January 7, 2010

Music at the Integral Spiritual Experience Conference, 2010

Over the course of thirty years, I've improvised at the piano with hundreds of individuals on four continents—people ranging in age from 4 to 84, as well as those with developmental disabilities such as Down syndrome and autism.

Without fail, everyone who has ever played in duet with me has come forth with music of disarming originality. Time and again, I see people emerge simply and fully as themselves--free, authentic, creative, alive. The music they express reveals the essence of who they are. It is always beautiful and it is always unique.

Thus, in early December, when I discovered an upcoming conference called, "Integral Spiritual Experience: Your Unique Self," I sensed that the event would relate to what I was observing through music. I wrote to conference organizer Nicole Fegley to explain how my teaching and performing would be an apt addition. Although it was just three weeks prior to the event, she created a way for me to be involved. Her receptive and generous response made it possible for me to offer five days of dynamic exploration into the power of music to awaken our deeper humanness.

The Integral Spiritual Experience conference took place at Asilomar Conference Center--a beautiful coastal preserve near Monterey, CA. I braved the -20F below wind chill at Albany, NY airport, gladly boarded the plane and landed (after a couple of stops) in balmy sunshine. The hospitable warmth created a conducive environment for self-actualization and joy.

I learned that the conference was the result of ongoing dialogue between Diane Musho Hamilton, Marc Gafni, Robb Smith, Ken Wilber, and other pioneering Integral thinkers and teachers. It was formulated as a framework for spiritual practice and personal growth in our time of heightened individualism. ("Individualism" refers to the self-aware, self-determining, globally-informed, media-saturated, post-modern consciousness of many of us, as compared with, for example, the tightly circumscribed, clannish, cycle/season-oriented, subsistence lives of serfs in 12th century medieval villages.)

In fact, the whole issue of individualism has been on my mind. Having written a major article about the evolutionary theory of Spiral Dynamics, I recognize what it's taken to get us to this point--the millennia of cultural/consciousness development that's produced our unprecedented psychological and existential freedom. And now, as I improvise with my students at the piano here in the 21st century, it's clear to me that their sense of individuality is a springboard for growth and awakening, rather than an impediment. The capacity to express ourselves freely and openly--and to value our expressivity as significant--makes possible my transformative work in music.

Years ago, even before I was consciously aware of it, I set out on a path to bring forth through music sublime beauty in myself and others. I was trained in the finest European tradition, in a lineage that links directly to the great masters of the Western world--Chopin, Liszt and Beethoven. During the pre-conference teachers' meeting Marc and Diane described the characteristics of the "Unique Self." It was a "dharma" or spiritual teaching that mirrored the insights I've gained from decades of music study, performance and teaching.

"It's like you're a snake-charmer, calling out the inner dimensions of anyone who sits with you at the piano," Andre Schugt, one of the participants, said to me. It's true! Using an innovative approach to duet improvisation, I create a dynamic field of trust and doubtlessness. As each person places his or her hands on the keys, any pretense or self-consciousness falls away as unique combinations of notes, gestures, and rhythms arise.

The music takes wing through never-before-heard melodies that inspire all who are present. Without exception, what emerges is of real beauty. The universal and the personal become One. People describe their experience of improvising as one of "loving remembrance," "of immense joy that washes away residues of pain," "of doubtlessness," of "childlike vulnerability," "where no fear can have sway."

At the Integral Spiritual Experience conference, I had the opportunity to conduct a children's class, as well as two improvisation sessions for adults. The many responses confirmed music's transformative power. Katherine Konner, whose video is below, later reflected: "While I was improvising, my left hand literally froze like a claw. This reminds me of contractions that occur in my life. Sometimes I just find myself stuck... so in a way, improvising with you was like finding grace. It was a way of getting myself unstuck. You helped me reconnect myself to my own beat."

The Integral Spiritual Conference proved to be a potent context for my work. Improvising with so many thoughtful, committed individuals in an atmosphere of self-discovery demonstrated music's power to release the inmost self, allowing us to see that in essence we are creative and free. Indeed, this is the catalytic recognition I'm endeavoring to bring to the world!

These videos of piano duet improvisations from the ISE conference reveal the inherently unique and beautifully creative self that resides in each of us, no matter our age!

Improvisation with Katherine Konner




****************

Improvisation with Akiva Davis,the 18 month-old son of Rabbi Avram and Laura Davis. Akiva is the youngest child with whom I've improvised. I let the duet unfold spontaneously, taking my cues from him. In mirroring his musical gestures, I support him. This approach, in general, is vital for child development and growth. And as you'll see, the result is delightful and surprising!



****************

Improvisation with Sevyn Smith,the 2 ½ year old son of Robb and Tiffany Smith. I created music that expressed Sevyn's energy and I kept going with it regardless of what was happening. Suddenly he joins me and begins playing with striking maturity. His energy channels itself into wonderful music!



****************

Improvisation with Parker Tucker, a 9 year-old girl. Parker always wanted to improvise at the piano and felt thwarted by conventional piano lessons. The minute I met her, I knew her creative spirit was there waiting, ready to be released. I was right! Her improvisations were beautiful and more: she helped by improvising with me in trios with Akiva and Sevyn, encouraging them, placing their fingers on the keys. At the final event of the conference, she and I performed for the 500+ participants. Thanks to Parker, I brought Akiva and Sevyn on stage to join us for what would be a memorable performance.



****************
Improvisation with Pam Parsons Dupuy In this video you'll hear my instructions to Pam - these are the guidelines I often give to people when they first sit with me at the piano. The result is stunning. You'll hear Pam's beautiful tone and feel her absorption. I then speak about how we can produce resonant tone at the piano, which is the essence of transcendent music. Pam certainly illustrates it!



For more information or to schedule a performance or workshop,
Please visit: www.pianobeautiful.com
or email: jessica@pianobeautiful.com

No comments: