Wednesday, March 12, 2014

"It Just Comes Out of Me" - A Student's Wonderful Music-Making

My thirty years of teaching all ages and backgrounds--including people with 'disabilities' such as autism, blindness and Down syndrome--have demonstrated that every single one of us is endowed with a unique, creative, beautiful, God-given 'voice.' Music is the ideal medium for expressing that voice. The result - one discovers and experiences something quite wonderful and free. It's THERE, waiting to be released, heard, and seen by all!

In this duet improvisation, I'm playing side-by-side with a young student of mine. Have a listen. It's fabulous! Here's the duet...
After we played, I asked my student about her experience. This was her reply:

"When I'm playing in duet like this, I don't think about playing, it just pours out of me. I'll play something, them I'm on to the next thing. Sometimes, I don't even know what I'm going to do next, but it just happens. I've played and studied classical music before and so I know some devices, but even though I try to use these, I don't completely play the classical way. I play with more freedom. I shake it up a little!"

For information on music and creativity coaching, in-person or on SKYPE, contact me at www.pianobeautiful.com

No comments: